Phone: (760) 672-2081
Email: [email protected]
Rob Sandstrom is a StrategyDriven Advisory Services Senior Advisor with over 38 years of Energy industry and consulting experience. Rob has significant leadership and hands-on experience in Training, Corrective Action, Benchmarking, Self-Assessment, Operating Experience, Safety Culture improvement, and Regulatory Recovery Projects. As a senior utility leader and Institute of Nuclear Power Operations (INPO) evaluator, he has been responsible for establishing and assessing a station’s work environment to ensure employees feel free to bring up concerns without retaliation and have confidence that identified concerns will be addressed. Rob has been a team leader or team member for multiple regulatory recovery efforts including closure of multiple U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) Corrective Action Letters (CALs); an NRC Confirmatory Order (CO), NRC Significant Cross Cutting Issues (SCCIs) in both Performance Improvement and Resolution (PI&R) and Human Performance (HU), and a Safety Conscious Work Environment (SCWE). He has lead multiple Mock NRC Inspection Assessments using NRC Supplemental Inspection Manual Chapters 95001 and 95002; programmatic corrective action, human performance, safety culture and training assessments; mock training accreditation boards; root cause evaluations, and regulatory recovery team efforts.
Prior to becoming a management consultant, Rob held several nuclear power plant and industry leadership positions; leading training programs, performance improvement efforts, and nuclear safety culture assessments including:
- Nuclear Training Director – responsible for the overall management of all training associated with the three San Onofre Nuclear Generating Units. Programs included supervisory and leadership training associated with creating and maintaining a safety conscious work environment as well as technical training associated with qualifying personnel to perform work in a safe and conscientious manner. Oversaw the successful accreditation renewal of all training programs through six National Academy for Nuclear Training Accreditation Boards.
- Operations Training Manager – responsible for the overall management of licensed and non-licensed operator training at the three San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station units. Implemented teamwork training and culture shift for the site. Achieved multiple accreditation renewals for the Licensed and Non-licensed Operator Training Programs.
- Domestic and International Nuclear Plant Operational Assessments Leader – led teams of highly experienced nuclear utility personnel in the evaluation of over a dozen domestic and international nuclear plant performance in the areas of corrective action, self-assessment, benchmarking, operating experience, training programs, and safety culture. Partnered with executives and senior plant managers to devise and implement performance improvement plans.
- Manager, Special Projects – led multiple special project efforts to improve organizational performance focused on improving accountability, safety culture, training, and the corrective action program. Served as a primary interface between Southern California Edison and the U.S. NRC on routine and special inspections. Implemented a restructuring of the Corrective Action Program.
- U.S. NRC Licensed Senior Reactor Operator – control room supervisor, shift technical advisor, and work control center supervisor directing the online and outage operation and maintenance of a commercial nuclear generating station (one of 5 crews); assessing risk and directing station resources to ensure safe plant operations and work execution while maintaining compliance with regulatory guidelines and standards during normal and emergency conditions.
- Design Engineering Review Team Leader – led the comprehensive review of a commercial nuclear station’s standby shutdown facility licensing basis, design basis, and operational implementation in response to an U.S. NRC Corrective Action Letter.
- Licensed Senior Reactor Operator (SRO) / Operations Training Instructor – responsible for the design and delivery of licensed and non-licensed operator training at a commercial nuclear power station using the Systematic Approach to Training (SAT) process. Ongoing training effectiveness contributed to the safe, reliable operation of this nuclear power station’s three units.
- Engineering Watch Supervisor – responsible for day-to-day nuclear propulsion plant operations and maintenance activities; ensuing high degrees of safety, reliability, and quality.
Rob earned a Master of Administration degree from California State University San Marcos and a Bachelor of Arts degree in Human Resources Management from National University.
In addition to degree conferring programs, Rob has received several leading certifications from respected national organizations including:
- U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Senior Reactor Operators License
- U.S. Navy, Engineering Watch Supervisor Qualification
- Institute of Nuclear Power Operations, Senior Performance Improvement Evaluator Qualification
- National Academy for Nuclear Training, Training Instructor Certification
Rob can be contacted by phone at (760) 672-2081 or email at [email protected].