Phone: (540) 447-0539
Email: [email protected]
David Powell is a StrategyDriven Advisory Services Senior Advisor with over 25 years of experience providing environmental and health and safety consulting, auditing, and training. He possesses extensive experience with implementation consulting and auditing related to Environmental Management Systems (EMS) and Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems (OHSMS) for the automotive, electronics, and chemical industries. These systems assist companies in meeting their regulatory requirements and to go beyond those requirements to implement environmental, health and safety best practices that bring additional financial, human resource development, and public recognition value to their businesses. David’s work with these management systems include projects in 39 states and 12 countries. He was among the first 20 persons accredited nationally under an EMS accreditation program.
As a trusted advisor, David has consulted for federal and state government agencies, real estate developers, and waste handling facilities. Some of his engagements include:
- Compliance and Conformance Auditor:
- Completed registration audits of approximately 430 facilities in the United States and abroad for Environmental Management Systems (ISO 14001), Responsible Care Environmental Management Systems (RC14001), and Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems (OHSAS 18001)
- Provided more than 400 Due Diligence Phase I Environmental Site Assessments for real estate transactions throughout the United States
- Coordinated more than 450 Environmental Reviews for the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- Completed a multi-state radon assessment program for the United States Postal Service
- Managed multiple Phase II Environmental Site Assessments for industrial real estate transactions
- Completed environmental and health and safety compliance audits at metal casting and electric turbine manufacturing facilities
- Led environmental compliance audits at waste recycling, handling, and disposal facilities
- Participated in accreditation witness audits for R-2 and E-stewards Electronics Recycling facilities
- EMS Program Implementation – provided implementation consulting leading to the successful registration of management systems at multiple facilities in the United States and Kazakhstan
- EMS Trainer:
- Taught EMS internal auditor and associated courses through the Virginia Community College system
- Led EMS Implementation courses on-site at industrial facilities in the United States and in Kazakhstan
- Real Estate Permitting – facilitated wetland delineations and permitting processes for real estate development projects
David participates on several Environmental Health and Safety advisory groups including:
- Virginia State Advisory Committee – served on an advisory committee to the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality concerning the development of an incentives program to encourage implementation of EMSs in industry
- ISO 14001 EMS Advisory Group Member – served as a member of the US Technical Advisory Group 207 for ISO 14001 EMS
David earned a Master of Science degree in Environmental Health Administration from East Tennessee University and a Bachelor of Arts degree in Business Administration from Goshen College.
David can be contacted by phone at (540) 447-0539 or email at [email protected].