There may be a whirlwind of reasons why you’re considering a career change. Maybe you’re beginning to feel less fulfilled in the work that you do, you’ve grown tired of not being challenged, or maybe the industry you’re working in isn’t what it was cracked up to be. Whatever reason that you may have for wanting to change careers, it’s important to know that it’s all completely valid. So this mini-guide is to help you out with changing careers.
Why exactly are you wanting to change careers?
There are many reasons why you might want to make a career change. Whatever the reason may be, it’s important to think about it thoroughly as this is going to help you think of ways to get out of your old career and into a new one. Since there are many considerations to make before deciding whether or not it is the right time to switch careers, here’s what you should ask yourself.
- What is your current work situation?
- Do you have the financial stability to support yourself through this transition period?
- Is your current job in danger of being eliminated due to automation?
- Will your current skills still be relevant for any other careers you’d like to get into?
Think about the skills you’ll need in your target industry
Is there a specific industry you’d like to get into? What about a certain role? In both of these cases, you’ll have to think about the skills. In order to have a successful career in the industry that you are targeting, you need to have a set of skills that will help you get there.
So what skills do you have that can be easily transferable? What skill sets do you have that could be in demand in the industry you’re wanting to get into? You should also try to figure out what relevant experience you have in your current job and industry versus what’s relevant in the target industry. For instance, if you’re wanting to get into the healthcare field, do you know about the terminology or the equipment they use like the Philips Lumify? These all need to be taken into account.
What are your goals for getting into a new career?
Many people have a goal of getting into a new career. They might have been laid off, or they may just want to explore new opportunities.
The first goal is figuring out what exactly you’re wanting to do. This might seem like a simple task, but it can be difficult because there are so many different careers out there. You will need to identify the type of work that you enjoy and the skills that you have so far developed. But it’s also important to consider whether your degree, certifications, or any training that you’ve had in the past is transferable or not.
While skills and years of experience are important, there are some employers that also expect the same standards for education as well. It may help to try and network, read some articles, or even do other methods of research such as watching YouTube for getting an idea of what you’d like.
Important pointers for changing careers
Since changing careers may be easier for some than others, it’s helpful to have some additional pointers that you may have never thought about. These can help you out while you’re going through the process of applying for new jobs.
- Start networking immediately with people in the industry you’re interested in going into
- Understand that you may need to tailor your resume to fit the role and the industry you’re hoping to get into
- Do you have a skill that’s highly in demand such as speaking a second language?
- Attend trade shows and other networking events for getting your name out there
- If you haven’t already, you should start a portfolio or even set up a blog to let recruiters know about your knowledge
These are just a few tips that could potentially help you out.