We have often asserted that organizations, like people, act in a manner consistent with its shared values. Subsequently, those ideals in which an organization’s members truly believe manifest themselves in every aspect of the organization’s physical and social environments. These environments are categorically represented as an organization’s:
- physical environment
- social environment
- decision environment
- positional environment
- developmental environment
- recognition and rewards environment
Hi there! Gain access to this article with a FREE StrategyDriven Insights Library – Sample Subscription. It’s FREE Forever with No Credit Card Required.
|Sign-up now for your FREE StrategyDriven Insights Library – Sample Subscription
In addition to receiving access to Diversity and Inclusion – What Does Your Environment Communicate?, you’ll help advance your career and business programs through anytime, anywhere access to:
Best of all, it’s FREE Forever with No Credit Card Required.
As with all self assessments, there exists a wide array of tools that can be employed when examining each organizational environment. These tools range from the concrete direct observation to the less tangible surveys and interviews. Recommendations regarding the collection and synthesis of self assessment data can be found in Evaluation and Control Best Practice 1 – Data Synthesis and the Information Development Model.
Additionally, the most valuable self assessments use standards of excellence as their comparative basis and apply a highly critical eye to the organization’s conditions and performance. Information regarding the application of this high level of scrutiny can be found in:
- Strategic Analysis Best Practice 1 – Integrity without Excuses
- Strategic Analysis Best Practice 2 – advocates diabolic, The Devil’s Advocate
- Strategic Analysis Best Practice 3 – Identify the Hidden Drivers
- Strategic Analysis Best Practice 3 – Identify the Hidden Drivers (Continued)
- Strategic Analysis Best Practice 4 – Independent Assessors
- Self Assessment Best Practice 1 – Executive Sponsorship
- Self Assessment Best Practice 2 – Multidiscipline Teams