StrategyDriven Podcasts focus on the tools and techniques executives and managers can use to improve their organization’s alignment and accountability to ultimately achieve superior results. These podcasts elaborate on the best practice and warning flag articles on the StrategyDriven website.
Special Edition 49 – An Interview with Kathryn Ullrich, author of Getting to the Top explores the approaches everyone in the corporate world can use, regardless of their current position, to shape their career development and accelerate their advancement. During our discussion, Kathryn Ullrich, author of Getting to the Top: Strategies for Career Success, shares with us her insights and illustrative examples regarding:
- what an individual should do to identify the knowledge, skills, and experiences needed at the next level and then get an accurate understanding of their personal strengths, weaknesses, and developmental needs to move into the desired position
- four different career paths and the developmental benefits of each
- determining how long an individual needs to be in a position to realistically satisfy their developmental needs
- avenues an individual should consider pursuing if a needed developmental assignment within their organization is unavailable
- the several key skills and functional area experiences commonly possessed by those at the top
- actions leaders should take and what roles they should fulfill in the development of their employees
In addition to the incredible insights Kathryn shares in Getting to the Top and this special edition podcast are the resources accessible from her website, www.GettingToTheTop.com. Kathryn’s book, Getting to the Top, can be purchased by clicking here.
The strength of our community grows with the additional insights brought by our expanding member base. Please consider rating us on iTunes by clicking here. Rating the StrategyDriven Podcast and providing your comments online improves our ranking and helps us attract new listeners which, in turn, helps us grow our community.
Thank you again for listening to the StrategyDriven Podcast!
About the Author
Kathryn Ullrich, author of Getting to the Top: Strategies for Career Success, heads Kathryn Ullrich Associates, a Silicon Valley executive search firm, and Alumni Career Services for UCLA’s Anderson School of Management. Kathryn also leads the Getting to the Top career development programs at the Stanford Graduate School of Business and the UCLA Anderson School of Management. Through these career programs, over 1,500 attendees have learned the career paths and skills to be successful in different functional areas including marketing, product management, public relations and corporate communications, strategic alliances and channels, sales, business development, consulting, private equity, corporate operations, and general and executive management. To read Kathryn’s complete biography, click here.
Related content from StrategyDriven