About the Book
AMA Business Boot Camp edited by American Management Association (AMA) International CEO Edward T. Reilly is a reader’s digest of fundamental management and leadership skills. Within this book, Edward compiles leading practices garnered from AMA’s ninety years of research and observation of the world’s top performing managers. This book contains essential insights for newly promoted and aspiring managers to:
- Define their role as a manager; creating a healthy and productive workplace environment
- Identify employee motivators; delegating for development and coaching for superior performance
- Adapt to a changing organization; recruiting, interviewing, and selecting the right person for the job and the organization
- Manage projects; from setting scope and selecting a team to delivering on-time, on-budget results
- Develop a personal leadership style; building power and influence and motivating ‘difficult’ people while avoiding the pitfalls of office politics
Benefits of Using this Book
StrategyDriven Contributors like AMA Business Book Camp for its solid focus on management fundamentals. Edward thoroughly covers the foundational principles and practices every manager must embody in order to be successful. Additionally, the book contains many useful templates that newly promoted managers can add to their personal ‘tool kit’ so to further accelerate their growth into well performing leaders.
While thorough in its discussion of management basics, we found AMA Business Boot Camp to lack the vivid real-world examples that would have brought the application of its concepts to life. This lack of examples diminished the book’s actionable nature; challenging less experienced managers to determine for themselves what the recommended implementation would look like in the workplace environment.
AMA Business Boot Camp contains the complete set of solid management principles and practices every aspiring and newly promoted manager should embody. As such, we believe this book would serve these individuals well as they start their management journey; making AMA Business Boot Camp a StrategyDriven recommended read.
Related content from StrategyDriven